You probably don’t know yet, but I love donuts, specially those Chocolate Frosted Donuts. They are my favorite treat on days I want something made from scratch and fresh out of the oven but quick and easy at the same time.
Donuts are a lot simpler than you may think. The batter is similar to cake batter, but a little thicker so they don’t crumble when you bite into them.
So today I bring to you a gluten-free Chocolate Frosted Donut topped with dark crushed almonds. I made them using an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend. I sometimes choose a ready made GF mix, it just makes your life easier.
These gluten-free donuts are ready in less than thirty minutes, and will melt in your mouth. And for those occasions you like to indulge yourself a bit more, coat them with a thick layer of chocolate glaze and sprinkle with crunchy nuts. They are to die for!
How to make baked donuts ?
You don’t need super baking skills to make perfect donuts at home—anyone can do it! What you do need is some basic ingredients and a donut pan. No donut pan! No problem, a mini-bundt or a muffin pan work great too.
Cake doughnut batters should be mixed minimally to ensure tenderness, over-mixing can make the batter tough. It’s also important to scrape the bowl well to make sure all ingredients are well combined.
When it comes to shaping a donut, you can either pipe or scoop the batter into the pan. I’ve used both, although, to be honest, I usually use a piping bag to distribute the batter into the prepared molds. Oh and remember to only fill each well at the half-way point to avoid donuts from baking to largely!
- For the gluten-free donuts
- 1 cup oat milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup + ⅔ cup all-purpose GF flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- For the chocolate glaze
- 15 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup roasted almonds, chopped
- Spray a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix the oat milk (a bit warm to melt the coconut oil), sugar, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl sift the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Then combine well the dry and wet ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the donuts pan and bake at 170˚C for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely and then glaze.
- To make the glaze, place the chopped chocolate in a double boiler over hot, but not boiling water. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Dip each donut into the melted chocolate, shaking off any excess of chocolate before placing back on cooling rack to set. Sprinkle donut with the chopped roasted almonds. Serve!
Looking for more VG/GF treats from Simple Green Recipes?
More donut recipes from favorite blogs:
Biscoff Donus from Baking a Moment