Crispy, Vegan and Gluten-free Buckwheat Waffles made with one of my favorite gluten-free flours and topped with coconut yogurt, yummy caramelised banana and melted chocolate. Can you think of a better combo? I definitely can’t.
I’ve been really into waffles recently. It’s not that I didn’t like them before but I just thought they were too time-consuming to make them at home. So I basically used to eat them whenever I had breakfast in one of these fancy bakeries here in Barcelona.
However, This changed when I decided to dust my waffle maker and started making waffles and experimenting with different flours. Now, I make waffles almost every single week. Best weekend breakfast ever!
Among all the flours I have tasted so far, buckwheat is one of my favorites. It isn’t as popular as wheat and oats, perhaps because of its strong nutty flavor, which I precisely think it is what makes it such a special flour. Seriously, you have to try and make these buckwheat waffles!
Oh and in case you’re anything like me, always trying to make the most of your time, I will share with you some tips on how to freeze waffles, so you can enjoy having homemade waffles every Sunday without much effort.
How to freeze waffles
To freeze these gluten-free waffles, allow them first cool completely in a cooling rack. Then, line a baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper and place the waffles on it. Pop the baking sheet into the freezer and wait for at least 4 hours before putting them into a freezer baggie.
When ready to eat your frozen waffles, put them into the toaster or a warm oven until they’re toasty and warmed through. Pretty easy, right?
- For the Waffles:
- 2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- For the Toppings:
- 1 cup coconut yogurt
- ½ cup melted chocolate
- 2 Caramelised Bananas (Ingredients below)
- For the Caramelised Bananas:
- 2 ripe banana
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 tablespoon vegan butter or coconut oil
For the Waffles:
- Turn on waffle-iron and let heat up.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the buckwheat flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add pinch of salt.
- Heat your waffle maker and spray it with non-stick spray or grease using melted coconut oil.
- Add a ¼ cup of batter to iron and cook for about 2 minutes, o until waffle is golden brown and easily releases from the waffle iron.
- Top them with a dollop of coconut yogurt, some caramelised bananas and drizzle with the melted chocolate.
For the Caramelised Bananas:
- Slice the ripe bananas.
- Place the brown sugar and vegan butter (or coconut oil) in the frying pan and melt until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the sliced bananas and coat in the caramel, let cook for around 5 minutes until the banana is soft.
Looking for more vegan/gluten-free breakfast from Simple Green Recipes?
More waffle recipes from favorite blogs:
Gingerbread Waffles Recipe from King Arthur Flour