Creamy and delicious, this Vegan Avocado Cream Cheese Sandwich is a quick and satisfying lunch or dinner. Made with sliced avocado, shredded beetroot, radish sprouts and a generous layer of vegan cream cheese, between two layers of my favorite sourdough bread.
Just on time! Did you know August is National Sandwich Month? I made this recipe a while ago and keep it for now to join this funny celebration. Ever since I can remember, sandwiches have been my favorite pack lunch. I often make those, specially when we go hiking, they are so quick and easy to prepare. Not to mention, they are perfect to take out, they get anywhere in one pice!
How to make this vegan avocado cream cheese sandwich
To me, a sandwich must start with a whole grain bread. Sourdough is my choice most of the time, it has a unique sour taste and it’s easier to digest. However, any whole grain bread works great here. Feel free to use any kind you like.
The key to creating this sandwich is in it’s layering. Also, the slather of cream cheese keeps the bread from becoming soggy . I combine layers of more firm veggies like avocado with those more slippery as for example shredded veggies or sprouts.
Making this sandwich can be easier – bread, cream cheese, avocado, shredded beetroot, and alfalfa sprouts. DONE.
First, toast the bread if looking for a more crunchy texture. I didn’t toast mine this time because it was to take away, but I do often toast it when eating the sandwich right away.
Then spread each slice with the vegan cream cheese. Top the cheese with the shredded beetroot and the sprouts, then lay on the sliced avocado, add another layer of sprouts. Finally, place the top piece of bread over the sprouts.
This avocado sandwich can be enjoyed as an open-faced sandwich, if desired.
How to make easy vegan cream cheese
- Soak the cashews either overnight in cool water in the refrigerator, or for at least 30 minutes in hot water. You’ll achieve a creamer spread if you leave it soak for an hour. This step is really important, it’s hard to blend without soaking the cashews first. Moreover, soak them contribute to get the creamy texture.
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews.
- In a blender or food processor, place all the ingredients, and blend until smooth.
- You can use it right away, or you can just put it into a container and keep it in the fridge. The vegan cream cheese will firm up and become nice and spreadable.
For the Cream Cheese:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil
For the sandwiches:
- 2 slices of whole grain bread
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- ¼ avocado, sliced
- 1 tablespoon shredded beetroot
- 2 tablespoon alfalfa sprouts
- Begin by halving and slicing your avocado. Cut the avocado lengthwise, until the blade of your knife hits the stone. Carefully, rotate the avocado as you slice it around the center. Twist apart the halves and remove the pit. Once opened, you can remove the skin easily. Lay the avocado flat side down and slice it. Sprinkle the slices with lemon juice to keep them from browning.
- To make the sandwich, first toast the bread if looking for a more crunchy texture. Then load your bread with cream cheese.
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of alfalfa sprouts and shredded beetroot and lay on the sliced avocado. Add another layer of sprouts.
- Finally, top with the remaining slice of bread.
Looking for more vegan sandwiches from Simple Green Recipes?
More sandwich ideas from favorite blogs:
Vegan Egg Salad Sandwich from Emilie Eats