These Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches are the perfect summer treat or guilt-free vegan dessert! Made using healthy, vegan cookies and non-diary chocolate ice cream as the filling.
Ice cream is a must here in the summer. It’s usually so hot that everybody welcomes a refreshing treat at the end of the meal, specially if it’s healthy. And my family is not different. Our dinners at my brother’s patio always finish with a frozen dessert, made by me, as you can imagine 😉
I have several recipes that I love and have done more than once. I’ve shared two of them so far and you can find the links at the end of this post. The Vegan Dark Cherry Tart is the ice cream base I have used for these vegan chocolate ice cream sandwiches.
The ice cream sandwich was always my favorite to get from the ice cream shop when growing up, so thought of making a vegan version of it. So, those are dairy-free, lactose free, plant-based and made with just 6 ingredients. Oh, and can also be gluten free if the cookies you choose have no gluten.
Tips for the perfect Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Use an ice cream maker. It’s possible to make ice cream without much equipment but if you are going to make your own frequently, I recommend you to get an ice cream maker. Ice cream needs to be churned constantly while freezing to aerate it. This ensures ice crystals from forming and achieving a smooth creamy texture.
- Use full-fat coconut milk. Other vegan milk substitutes, like almond milk or oat milk, don’t have enough fat that’s what you need for a creamy and smooth ice cream.
- Use whatever sweetener works for you. Although I’ve used a granulated sugar cane here, I really love ice cream made with honey, agave or maple syrup. If you feel like experimenting, start trying with agave syrup, it’s syrup nature helps keep the ice cream smooth. Swap the sugar in this recipe for the same amount of agave syrup.
- Soak cashews well. Place cashews in a medium bowl and cover with water and let them soak for at least 3-4 hours. Put in the refrigerator if soaking overnight. If you happen to forget that previous step and you are in a hurry, place cashews into a pot, cover with water and bring to boil. Remove from heat and let sit for about 20 minutes.
- 2 cups raw cashews soaked overnight
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- 3 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1+½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- 12 vegan cookies
- The day or night before, place your ice cream maker bowl in the freezer to properly chill.
- Place cashews in a medium bowl and cover with water and let them soak for at least 3-4 hours. Put in the refrigerator if soaking overnight.
- Once cashews are soaked and drained, add to a food processor along with the coconut milk, cane sugar, coconut oil (or olive oil) and cocoa powder. Blend on high speed until very creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn for 30 minutes. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for two hours, or until easily scoopable.
- To make the ice cream sandwiches, place a scoop (about ¼ cup) of ice cream in the center of one cookie and top with another. Smooth down sides with a knife, if desired. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, then place in freezer for about 20 minutes.
- Ice cream sandwiches will keep in freezer for a few weeks, just keep them in a plastic container with a lid.
More frozen desserts from Simple Green Recipes?
More ice cream from favorite blogs:
Vegan Mango Ice Cream from Vegan Richa