This Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting is creamy, rich and thick. Made in just 5 minuts, it’s the perfect frosting recipe for a delicious carrot or red velvet cake. And the best part, it only requires 3 basic ingredients!
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
I bet some of you may be wondering if the delicious and addictive traditional Cream Cheese Frosting can be vegan. Well, it can.
Traditional frosting uses dairy butter and cream cheese, while vegan frosting uses plant based butter and cream cheese, both easily available nowadays.
Tips for the Best Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- Sift the powdered sugar. I don’t normally sift powdered sugar when making a frosting but I do it for this one. It ensures that your ingredients will be lump free.
- I recommend making the frosting before and keeping it refrigerate while you prepare the cakes or cupcakes you are going to frost.
- Even better, if you can make the frosting the night before and keep it in the fridge overnight. It will firm up as it gets cool.
- Refrigerate the layers of your cake, wrapped in plastic, for a couple of hours or overnight. It’s easier to frost a cake when the layers are cold.
How to Make the Best Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
Bring the vegan cream cheese and vegan butter to room temperature. The ingredients will come together easier and quicker when you mix them.
Mix the vegan butter and the vegan cream cheese in a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer. Beat until creamy and well combined.
Gradually add the sifted powdered sugar and keep whisking until everything is well combined and you can’t see any sugar lumps.
If you prefer a thicker frosting, add more powdered sugar. For a thinner texture, just add more cream cheese or some vegan milk. One spoon at a time and check consistency after each addition.
Refrigerate the frosting before using it. Cooling it down for two or three hours will be enough, though I recommend to prepare the frosting the night before and keep it in the fridge overnight.
What cake sizes this recipe can frost?
I’ve made this frosting to cover the three cake sizes below:
- 3-layer 6 inch round cake
- 2-layer 8 or 9 inch round cake
- 1-layer 9 x 13 sheet cake
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup vegan butter
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- In a large bowl, mix the butter and the vegan cream cheese, both at room temperature. Beat on medium low until creamy and well combined.
- Reduce the mixer speed and add the powdered sugar. Beat on low speed for 1 minute, then increase the mixer speed and beat for 2 more minutes or until the frosting is smooth.
- For a thicker frosting, add an extra ½ cup of powdered sugar. For a thinner consistency, add more cream cheese or some vegan milk.
- Chill the frosting for two hours to firm before using it. You can use it straight away but if you leave it in the fridge for a while, it will thicken and will be firmer to decorate your cakes.