These Vegan Lemon Cookies are soft, chewy, buttery and deliciously fragrant. They melt in your mouth! 1-bowl cookies, made with staple ingredients and ready in under 25 minutes! A quick and super easy recipe that leads to perfect cookies every time.
WHY MAKE THESE COOKIES
It requires only 1 bowl. One bowl, a whisk and a spatula is all you need to make this vegan lemon cookies. If you have an electric mixer, it will help you with the butter-sugar creaming, but it’s not indispensable for this recipe.
Only 9 staple ingredients needed. This is an uncomplicated recipe that requires basic pantry staples for your ingredients. Check out the recipe card below.
No chilling required. Refrigerating the cookie dough is not required, which means you can make the dough and have your first batch in the oven in no time.
INGREDIENTS NOTES AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Plant based butter. I normally use Earth Balance. Make these vegan lemon cookies with your favourite vegan butter, this is a thick dough so the cookies will keep their shape.
Sugar. I’ve used organic cane sugar. Brown sugar or white granulated sugar works fine here too.
Applesauce. It’s a great substitute for the eggs in vegan baking. It doesn’t add any lift, but it helps with binding. You can either use Homemade Applesauce or store-bought.
Flour. Regular All-Purpose Flour is the one you need for this recipe.
Lemon juice. This recipe calls for fresh ingredients, like lemon juice and lemon zest, but feel free to use bottled lemon juice.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
- To make the cookies: preheat oven to 350ºF / 175ºC. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place butter and sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Beat until soft and creamy.
- Add applesauce, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Sift in the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Stir until the dough is well combined.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough. Place each cookie scoop onto the lined baking sheet. Leave one inch between each one.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
These vegan lemon cookies can last for up to a week in an airtight container, at room temperature. Place them in layers separated by a sheet of parchment paper to keep them from sticking together.
Sure! Lemon extract is much more concentrated so I would start using just ½ teaspoon instead of 1 teaspoon lemon juice. If you’re also going to substitute the lemon zest, then add 1 teaspoon of lemon extract to the dough.
There are several substitutes for applesauce in this recipe. Pureed apples, mashed bananas or vegan yogurt are some of the best alternatives. They have a similar consistency than applesauce. Substitute in a 1 to 1 ratio, except for the mashed bananas, in that case add ½ tablespoon of water or plant based milk to the dough.
MORE COOKIES TO TRY
If you try this recipe don’t forget to rate it and let me know how it went in the comments below! You can also FOLLOW ME on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Vegan Lemon Cookies
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- Mixing bowl
- Silicone spatula
- Cookie scoop (scoop diameter: 1.5 inch/3.9 cm)
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- ½ cup plant based butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons applesauce, homemade or store-bought
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF / 175ºC, then line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. You can also use a hand mixer or beat it by hand.
- Add the applesauce, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla. Mix well to ensure all the ingredients are combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Then, add in the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix the wet and dry ingredients until just combined, about 15 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula and mix until dough comes together, about 15 seconds.
- Use a cookie scoop (ice cream scoop) to scoop the cookie dough out into balls, or roll de dough into 12 medium balls (2 tablespoons each). Place them on the lined cookie sheet, at least 1 inch apart from each other.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the cookies look barely golden but still soft. DO NOT OVERBAKE.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for a week, at room temperature.