This super easy Vegan Strawberry Cream Puff Pastry Tart is the perfect Summer dessert. It is made in no time and using natural and healthy ingredients. You’re going to love it for its simplicity. Just fresh strawberries on a bed of almond cream baked onto base of flaky puff pastry.
It’s kind of addictive, I warn you. Once you try it you cannot stop coming and going to the fridge.
This tart can be made with almost any fruit, but, the truth is that I can’t resist strawberries when they are in season. Curiously, you can buy them all year round here now, but I found they are sweeter and redder when it is really the season.
Although for me, the star here is the delicious vegan frangipane, a velvety almond cream. It turns a simple tart into a delightful dessert by adding richness and texture. A slice of this vegan strawberry cream puff pastry tart with a cup of coffee, is just brilliant. Another of the tarts I tend to make more than once during the summer.
If you haven’t made a frangipane before you may not know that frangipane is a classic custard filling made with almonds, butter, sugar and eggs. Needless to say that the vegan recipe has no eggs and, because of that, it’s less of a custard filling and more of a creamy filling. Frangipane is the base of many fruit tarts and cakes. One of them is the famous Bakewell tart, soooo good!
How to make vegan almond cream
Making vegan almond cream is one of the easiest things and yet absolutely rewarding:
- Just start beating the butter until it’s very soft. I use a stand mixer for that. If you don’t have one, no worries, a hand mixer works great too.
- Once the butter is soft, add the sugar and the almond meal and mix well. Then mix in the flour and the apple sauce. Stir until everything is just combined.
- And, finally, when the almond cream is ready, I usually chill it while I prepare the rest of the ingredients for the tart. Chilling the frangipane helps it to set, it thickens a bit. Although you can skip this step if you find the cream has already the right texture for you.
Vegan Strawberry Cream Puff Pastry Tart
For the Tart
- 1 sheet vegan puff pastry
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
For the Filling
- ½ cup plant-based butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 cup almond meal
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup apple sauce
- For the Almond Cream
- Beat the butter until very soft, add the sugar and the almond meal and mix some more.
- Then, mix in the flour and the apple sauce. Beat on medium and then high speed until fluffy and well combined, preferably in a stand mixer.
- For the Tart
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF / 180ºC. Line a baking sheet with baking paper and set aside.
- Then, rinse, pat dry and slice the strawberries.
- Unfold the puff pastry and place it onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Use a sharp knife to score the perimeter of the dough 1-inch from the edge, making sure not to cut all the way through the dough. Prick pastry in a few places with a fork inside the scored rectangle so that the center of the pastry does not puff in the oven.
- Spread the almond cream on the puff pastry, arrange the sliced strawberries and sprinkle with the slivered almonds.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until the edges of pastry are browned, puffed, and crisp. Let tart cool on a rack before cutting into pieces.
- Serve the tart warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
More vegan fruit tarts from Simple Green Recipes:
More sweet treats from favorite blogs:
Banana Caramel Cashew Vegan Bundt Cake from Pies and Tacos