One dish guaranteed to put you in the holiday mood, is this summery Vegan Tomato Leek Tart. It’s one of my favorites to cook when I have family and friends coming around. It’s easy and quick to prepare and everybody loves a crunchy pastry with flavorful roasted veggies on top.
I associate tomato tart with feasting with my family. Rolling out dough, making the tart and watching everybody devour it in just minutes. Yes, literally. Every time I make veggie tarts, they are a total success!
Ideally, you would make this with organic beautiful tomatoes, but any tomatoes will do, just make sure they are tasty ripe ones. As for the leeks, I always look for leeks that have as much white and light green as possible, and with crisp and firm stalks. To me, smaller leeks seem to be more tender.
This Vegan Tomato Leek Tart is made with my all-time favorite dough, puff pastry. I sometimes think I’m the number one fan of this dough, I use it for both savory and sweet tarts. And if you haven’t yet, try the vegan puff pastry next time you plan on making one of these veggie tarts, you would love it.
Tips for making this vegan tomato leek tart
Don’t overload the toppings. Try not to put too much cheese or toppings on this tomato tart. Too much cheese will make the tart soggy and you won’t get the crisp crust you are looking for. Also, the tart will take longer to cook.
Thinly slice the leeks. If leeks are sliced too thick, they won’t cook all the way in the oven and won’t be as tender as they can be.
Keep an eye on your tart. Once it’s done, regularly check if the leeks are done to prevent them from burning.
Can I freeze a puff pastry veggie tart?
You can refrigerate or freeze the tart in a freezer safe container. Once ready to use it, reheat it in the oven at 350F/176C until it’s heated all of the way through. If the tomatoes and crust start to get too browned you can cover with foil to prevent burning.
The tart is best eaten the day it is made but you can store the tart in the refrigerator for up to four days. It’s actually delicious cold, so don’t feel like you have to heat it up.
- 1 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 dry red chili
- 1 sheet vegan Puff Pastry
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese
- 2 medium leeks, sliced
- 2 cups Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Thyme to taste
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF. Line a baking sheet with baking paper and set aside.
- Prepare the Spicy Chilli Oil by placing the oil and the dry red chili in a small saucepan, and bring to boil for one minute. After that, remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Store in an airtight bottle or jar.
- Unfold the puff pastry and place it onto prepared baking sheet.
- Use a sharp knife to score the perimeter of the dough 1-inch from the edge, making sure not to cut all the way through the dough. Prick pastry in a few places with a fork inside the scored rectangle so that the center of the pastry does not puff in the oven.
- Spread the cream cheese on the pastry, arrange the sliced leeks and the halved tomatoes over the cheese. Drizzle everything with spicy chili oil, around 2 tablespoons, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until the edges of pastry are browned, puffed, and crisp. Let tart cool 10 minutes before cutting into pieces.
More lunch/dinner ideas from Simple Green Recipes: