This Vegan Peach Galette is made with an easy vegan coconut oil crust and a delicious juicy peach filling. If you’ve never made a galette before, you are missing out! It’s like an easier version of a pie. It requires less effort and comes together in less than 20 minutes.
I’ve made at least a dozen of galettes so far but not always using the same type of crust. And I have to say that I love how this vegan coconut oil crust turned out. It’s easy to work with and such a forgiving pastry! If you are just new to vegan baking, this vegan peach galette is perfect for you.
Tips for making the perfect vegan peach galette
- Galette can be a little leaky sometimes. The trick is to roll the dough around ⅛ thick or just slightly thicker. If the dough is too thick, the crust will be too small to allow the filling to be spread evenly. But the dough shouldn’t be too thin either or it will easily break when you fold the edges to form the galette.
- Use solid coconut oil. The consistency of the coconut oil is key in this recipe. If it’s too liquid, the crust can be difficult to work with. You can place the jar in the fridge until it is completely solid.
- Vegan coconut oil crust doesn’t need any chilling time. You can make it, roll it, and bake it, without having to chill the crust before filling it. Although, if your kitchen is really warm, I recommend chilling the dough in the fridge while you prepare the filling.
- Slice the fruit thinly. The average baking time for a galette is around 30 minutes. Thinly slicing the fruit helps ensure the filling bakes at the same time as the crust.
- Let it cool on a cooling rack. If you’re not in a hurry, transfer the galette to a cooling rack, this will allow air to circulate underneath and prevent the crust from turning soggy.
Vegan Peach Galette (vegan, gluten-free & refined sugar-free)
For the Crust:
- 6 tablespoons plant-based milk soy milk, oat milk, almond milk
- ¼ cup coconut oil solid
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 +¼ cups GF all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
For the Filling:
- ¼ cup peach jam
- 2 large peaches sliced thinly (1 pound of pitted peaches)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch of salt
For the Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons peach jam
For the Crust:
- To make the pastry, place all the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Mix until combined.
- Create a ball with the mixture and place it between two sheets of floured parchment paper. Roll your dough out to around 12 inches wide and between ⅛ – ¼ inch thickness.
- Place the parchment paper with the crust on a baking sheet and set aside. If it's truly hot in your kitchen, let the crust chill in the fridge until the filling is ready.
For the Filling:
- Heat the oven to 400F (200ºC). Meanwhile, prepare the filling: cut the peaches into ¼ of inch slices. In a large bowl, stir the peaches, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and salt until combined. Set filling aside to rest as the oven preheats.
- Remove the crust from the fridge. Spread the peach jam evenly over the crust with the back of a spoon. Spoon the filling and the juices onto the jam layer and carefully fold up the edges of the dough (1 ½ to 2 inches), overlapping the dough to enclose the filling and make a free-form tart. The important part is really to avoid any cracks so the filling doesn't leak during baking.
- Brush some peach jam thinned with a little bit of water over the crust and fruit to give them a nice shine. The glaze prevents the fruit from drying out and helps to retain its texture.
- Bake it for about 30 minutes or until de crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it cool before serving with ice cream or coconut whipped cream. Enjoy!