This Vegan Peach Galette is made with an easy vegan coconut oil crust and a delicious juicy peach filling. If you’ve never made a galette before, you are missing out! It’s like an easier version of a pie. It requires less effort and comes together in less than 20 minutes.
I’ve made at least a dozen of galettes so far but not always using the same type of crust. And I have to say that I love how this vegan coconut oil crust turned out. It’s easy to work with and such a forgiving pastry! If you are just new to vegan baking, this vegan peach galette is perfect for you.
Tips for making the perfect vegan peach galette
- Galette can be a little leaky sometimes. The trick is to roll the dough around ⅛ thick or just slightly thicker. If the dough is is too thick, the crust will be too small to allow the filling to be spread evenly. But the dough shouldn’t be too thin either or it will easily break when you fold the edges to form the galette.
- Use solid coconut oil. The consistency of the coconut oil is key in this recipe. If it’s too liquid, the crust can be difficult to work with. You can place the jar in the fridge until it is completely solid.
- Vegan coconut oil crust doesn’t need any chilling time. You can make it, roll it, and bake it, without having to chill the crust before filling it.
- Slice the fruit thinly. The average baking time for a galette is around 25 minutes. Thinly slicing the fruit helps ensure the filling bakes at the same time as the crust.
- Let it cool on a cooling rack. If you’re not in a hurry, transfer the galette to a cooling rack, this will allow air to circulate underneath and prevent the crust from turning soggy.
For the Crust:
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 6 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup coconut oil, solid
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1+¼ cups GF all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
For the Filling:
- ¼ cup peach jam
- 2 large peaches, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch of salt
For the Glaze:
- 2 spoons plant-based milk, to brush on the crust
For the Crust:
- Add chia seeds to a small bowl and top with water. Stir and let sit for 10 minute to thicken. It should be gel-like and thick.
- To make the pastry, place the chia mixture and coconut oil into the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment. Mix until combined, then add the dry ingredients: coconut sugar, flour and salt, and pulse until it starts to come together but is still mostly large crumbs.
- Create a ball with the mixture and place it between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll it out until you have a circle 12 inches in diameter. Place the parchment paper with the crust on a baking sheet and set aside.
For the Filling:
- Heat the oven to 400F (200ºC). While the dough is chilling, prep the fruit: slice the peaches. In a large bowl, stir the peaches, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and salt until combined. Set filling aside to rest as the oven preheats.
- Remove the crust from the fridge. Spoon the filling and the juices onto the crust and carefully fold up the edges of the dough (1 ½ to 2 inches), overlapping the dough to enclose the filling and make a free-form tart. The important part is really to avoid any cracks so the filling doesn't leak during baking.
- Brush the crust edges with milk. Bake it for about 25 minutes or until de crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let it cool before serving with ice cream or coconut whipped cream. Enjoy!
More fruit tarts from Simple Green Recipes:
More galettes from favorite blogs:
Corn and Zucchini Galette from Oh My Veggies