These Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies are deliciously rich, soft and chewy. They melt in your mouth, literally! Oh, and they are 1-bowl cookies, made with just 7 basic ingredients, and ready in under 25 minutes!
WHY MAKE THIS RECIPE
25-minute quick and easy recipe. Seriously, the easiest chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever made. They can be made in one bowl, with no electric mixer. Using a hand or stand mixer makes the job easier, but if you don’t own one, a hand whisk, spoon or spatula will work as well.
1-bowl vegan gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. One bowl, a whisk and a spatula is all you need to make this recipe. In the recipe card bellow, you’ll find a list of equipment that basically makes your baking life easier but none of them are indispensable for this recipe.
The dough is freezer-friendly. Make the cookie dough, freeze it and you’re minutes away from a fresh baked batch of irresistible vegan gluten free chocolate chip cookies.
INGREDIENTS NOTES AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Vegan butter. I typically use vegan butter made with olive oil or coconut. Margarine works great here too.
Gluten-free all-purpose flour. GF all-purpose flour is what I usually use here. If you don’t need to make them gluten-free, substitute GF all-purpose flour for all-purpose flour at a ratio of 1:1.
Apple sauce. You can either use Homemade Apple Sauce or store-bought. I always have jars of homemade apple sauce in my freezer, I make a double batch and freeze them in jars.
Brown sugar. I either use cane sugar, brown sugar or panela, what I have on hand. You can also use white granulated sugar if you prefer.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
- To make the cookies: preheat oven to 375ºF / 190ºC. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, mix butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add apple sauce and vanilla.
- Whisk well to combine the wet ingredients.
- Sift in the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Mix well to ensure all the ingredients are combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Mix just until combined. Don’t over mix.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough. Place each cookie scoop onto the lined baking sheet. Leave 1 inch between each one.
Bake for 10-14 minutes, until lightly browned on the sides. Remove from oven and let cool.
Baking time, oven temperature, ingredients, amount of fat and humidity are all important factors when it comes to get a soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie.
Higher temperature and shorter time in the oven makes your cookies softer and chewier, as it does using brown sugar instead or white sugar since the first has molasses in it, which translates into more humidity. Finally, the fat in the butter adds moisture to the dough and makes cookies more tender
Vegan cookie dough has no eggs, so it can be stored in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 1 week. You can also freeze the cookie dough, wrapped in plastic wrap and placed in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Once the cookies have cooled completely, store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week
Once baked, allow cookies to cool completely. Place them on a baking sheet in a single layer, don’t overlap. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 1-2 hours. When the cookies are solid, transfer to an airtight container. I line the container with parchment paper and layer the cookies, separating them with sheets of parchment paper to prevent breakage.
MORE COOKIES TO TRY
Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- Large mixing bowl
- Silicone spatula
- Cookie scoop (scoop diameter: 1.97 inch/5 cm)
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
For the Vegan Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
For the Vegan Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375ºF / 190ºC, then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, or the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until soft and creamy, for 3 minutes.
- Add the apple sauce and the vanilla. Mix well to ensure all the ingredients are combined.
- Next, add the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet until everything comes together. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula to make sure everything is mixed properly.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. Mix just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Use a medium cookie scoop (ice cream scoop) to scoop the cookie dough out into balls, placing them onto the lined baking sheet, at least 1 inch apart from each other.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the centres are still soft and not cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for a week, at room temperature.