These Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are loaded with creamy peanut butter and lots of chocolate chunks. They’re perfectly thick, soft in the centre and crispy on the edges. You’ll love these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies all year round!
WHY MAKE THIS RECIPE
25 minutes easy-to-make recipe. It’s a delicious cookie recipe that goes together in just 25 minutes. It’s prepared in less than 10 minutes and baked in around 15 minutes. That’s all. Chocolate chip cookies get cooled down in no time and are absolutely delicious when they are warm and the chocolate is still melted.
Full of peanut butter and chocolate flavor. This recipe has the right amount of peanut butter and chocolate to make the perfect cookie for any occasion, be it breakfast, snack or after meal treat.
Don’t require any dough chilling. This cookies don’t spread much so it’s not necessary to chill the dough. Wether you form the cookies with an ice cream scooper or with your hands, they will flatten a bit but mostly keep the size they were before sliding them into the oven.
INGREDIENTS NOTES AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Apple sauce. You can either use Homemade Apple Sauce or store-bought. I always have jars of homemade apple sauce in my freezer, I make a double batch and freeze them in jars.
Brown sugar. I either use cane sugar, brown sugar or panela, what I have on hand. All them are moister than granulated sugar, and make your cookies softer.
All-purpose flour. All-purpose flour is what I usually use here. If you want to make them gluten-free, substitute all-purpose flour for gluten-free all-purpose flour at a ratio of 1:1.
Peanut butter. I use natural peanut butter, it’s oilier than processed peanut butter but it doesn’t affect the outcome, these cookies keep their shape and size beautifully and don’t spread much.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE THE COOKIES
- Preheat oven to 375ºF / 190ºC. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, mix butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add peanut butter, apple sauce and vanilla.
- Whisk well to combine the wet ingredients.
- Sift in the flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk until there are no lumps of flour left.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and the chocolate chunks.
- Mix well just until combined. Don’t over mix.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough. Place each cookie scoop onto the lined baking sheet. Leave one inch between each one.
Bake for 13-15 minutes, until lightly browned on the sides. Remove from oven and let cool.
Cookies are done when they are golden on the edges but still soft in the centre. Around 13-15 minutes for these cookies. They firm up while cooling down.
Sure! The dough can be made and stored in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 1 week. You can also freeze the vegan cookie dough for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
NO chill time required for this dough. This is not an extremely soft cookie dough so there is no need to refrigerate before taking the cookies to the oven.
Once baked and cooled, vegan peanut butter chocolate chip cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Once baked, allow cookies to cool completely. Place them on a baking sheet in a single layer, don’t overlap. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 1-2 hours. When the cookies are solid, transfer to an airtight container. I line the container with parchment paper and layer the cookies in it, separating the layers with parchment paper to prevent breakage.
If you try this recipe don’t forget to rate it and let me know how it went in the comments below! You can also FOLLOW ME on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- Large mixing bowl
- Silicone spatula
- Cookie scoop (scoop diameter: 1.97 inch/5 cm)
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
For the Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup (1 stick) plant based butter , room temperature
- ½ cup light or dark brown sugar
- ⅔ cup natural smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup apple sauce , homemade or store-bought
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chunks
For the Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375ºF / 190ºC. Place the rack in the middle of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using a handheld mixer, or the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until soft and creamy, for 3 minutes.
- Add in the peanut butter, apple sauce and vanilla. Whisk well to combine the wet ingredients.
- Sift in the flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until there are no lumps of flour left. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula to make sure everything is mixed properly.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and the chocolate chunks. Mix just until combined. Don’t over mix or the cookies will spread.
- Using a cookie scoop (ice cream scoop), scoop the cookie dough. Place each cookie scoop onto the lined baking sheet. Leave 1 inch between each one.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned on the sides. They will be raw in the middle.
- Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for a week, at room temperature.