These Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes are moist, fluffy and super tender muffins topped with classic vanilla buttercream frosting. They are easy and quick cupcakes that can be made in 30 minutes. Those are vegan, dairy-free and egg-free.
WHY MAKE THIS RECIPE
It’s a 30 minutes dessert recipe. This is an easy dessert that goes together in just 30 minutes. It’s prepared in less than 10 minutes and baked in around 20 minutes. That’s all. Muffins get cooled down in no time and you can either refrigerate the frosting or not as it can be used straight away.
Oh, if you’re a fan of fluffy and healthy desserts, check out those: Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes, Vegan Gluten free Strawberry Cake, Vegan Chocolate Cake, Vegan Gluten-Free Carrot Cake.
It only requires a few basic ingredients. These easy Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes use basic ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry: flour, oil, sugar and milk. Those together with some leaving and some powdered sugar for the frosting is all you need to make these festive vegan cupcakes.
It’s not overly sweet. I love sugar as much as anyone but I don’t like my dessert recipes super sweet. So these vanilla muffins are not too sweet and perfect to top with the Vegan Vanilla Buttercream frosting in this recipe.
INGREDIENTS NOTES AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Flour. Plain all-purpose flour is what I usually use for those vegan funfetti cupcakes. To make it gluten-free, substitute all-purpose flour with all-purpose gluten-free flour at a ratio of 1:1.
Cane sugar. Cane sugar is much less processed and it’s more flavorful. It turns your muffins darker, which is something I don’t care about. But if you’re looking for the perfect pale vanilla muffin, I recommend you swap the cane sugar for white sugar and remove one tablespoon from the cup since white sugar is sweeter.
Plant-based milk. There is almost one dairy-free milk for everyone. I use almond, oat and soy milk for baking. Notes on vegan buttermilk bellow.
Sprinkles. Use good quality sprinkles or they will bleed as soon as you add it to the batter, and melt while baking.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE THE CUPCAKES
- To make the funfetti cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350ºF/ 175ºC and line a cupcake pan with liners. Prepare your buttermilk, combining the milk and the lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Stir the mixture and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Add the oil and the vanilla into the buttermilk bowl and mix well.
- Sift in the flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder.
- Whisk until well combined. Don’t over mix. Add the sprinkles.
- If you haven’t done it yet, line the cupcake pan with muffin liners.
- Divide the batter evenly into the cupcake pan, filling ⅔ of the way up.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. Cool the tray on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Then remove muffins from the tray and let them cool completely.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE THE FROSTING
- To make the vanilla buttercream frosting: Start by softening the butter. Use and electric hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Add the vanilla and whisk until everything is well combined.
Finally, frost your cupcakes and top with sprinkles.
If you want to save a fresh batch for later or just need to make them a few days in advance, just follow those easy tricks. For unfrosted cupcakes: let them cool completely and then store in a container with a thigh-fitting lid and leave them on the counter for up to 2 days. If it’s hot and humid, store them in the fridge. For frosted cupcakes: place them in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge. Bring them to room temperature before serving.
For unfrosted cupcakes: individually wrap the cooled cupcakes in plastic wrap, store in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze them. For frosted cupcakes: arrange them in a tray and place, uncovered, in the freezer for an hour or until the frosting has hardened. Once the frosting is hard, individually wrap them, place in an airtight container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Bring them to room temperature before serving.
I’ve made vegan buttermilk with soy milk and almond milk. Soy milk is my favorite to make buttermilk, but both work nicely. Not all the non-diary milks will curdle when adding vinegar or lemon juice.
Sure! You can easily halve or double this vegan cupcakes recipe. To halve the recipe, so that you get 6 cupcakes instead of 12, just divide the ingredients in half.
If you need to make a double batch instead, double the ingredients. Check for doneness after 20 minutes in the oven, bake for 5 more minutes if the muffins are not fully baked.
If you try this recipe don’t forget to rate it and let me know how it went in the comments below! You can also FOLLOW ME on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes
- Medium or big mixing bowl
- Silicone spatula
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- 12 hole cupcake pan
For the Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ¼ cups plant based milk (almond, oat, soy), at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup vegetable oil (canola oil, olive oil, sunflower oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup sprinkles
- 2 tablespoon sprinkles , for garnishing
For the Vegan Vanilla Frosting:
- 1 cup vegan butter , at room temperature
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes
- To make the Cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350ºF / 175ºC and line a cupcake pan with 12 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, mix the vegan milk with the lemon juice to make vegan buttermilk. Gently stir and let sit for two minutes. The milk curdles and reaches a buttermilk-like texture and taste.
- Then, add the oil and the vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- Sift in the flour, baking soda, baking powder and sugar, and mix with the wet ingredients. Beat gently for 30 seconds until well mixed. You can either stir the mixture with a whisk, large spoon or a hand mixer. Add the sprinkles and gently fold with a spatula. Don’t over mix.
- Fill the cupcake liners evenly with batter ⅔ full.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean. Do not over bake or the muffin will be dry.
- Remove cupcake pan from the oven and let cool down a bit. Carefully, they are very tender now, remove muffins from the try and place on a wire rack to cool.
For the Frosting:
- To make the frosting: While the muffins are baking, prepare the frosting. In a mixing bowl, add the butter. Beat the butter until soft and creamy.
- Then, add the vanilla, give it a stir and add the powdered sugar, sifted. Beat until well mixed.
- Use it immediately or refrigerate. If you’re dealing with hot/ humid weather, place the frosting in the freezer for 15 minutes before topping your cupcakes, it will thicken a bit more.
- When your cupcakes are cooled, place a 2D tip in a piping bag and fill the bag about ¾ with the vanilla frosting. Frost your cupcakes and top with sprinkles. Enjoy!
Can I replace the lemon juice with white vinegar? Also, can I use granulated sugar instead of cane sugar?
Hi Erica! I haven’t tried using vinegar for this recipe, but wine vinegar usually works for me in other recipes. As for the granulated sugar, sure, you can perfectly use it instead of cane sugar. Have a lovely day!
We can’t have a celebration without these funfetti cupcakes! The vanilla buttercream frosting on it was perfect, not overly sweet and easy to pipe. It’s definitely a family favorite in my house! Thanks for this awesome recipe!
Hi Michelle! So glad you guys are all loving the cupcakes! They are a hit around my house for sure! I appreciate you taking your time to share your review and comments!
These funfetti cupcakes were so much fun! And they were easy to make with your really clear instructions. My friends loved them. Thank you for sharing!
Hi, Julia, So happy that you liked these cupcakes, which, yes are so easy and fun to make!
These vegan funfetti cupcakes are always a huge hit at my house! Thank you for the easy recipe and clear instructions. They are really helpful and the cupcakes turn out perfect every time.
Hi Joshua, I’m thrilled that you enjoy making this funfetti cupcakes and that your family love them! Thanks so much for letting me know!
I absolutely love this recipe for vegan funfetti cupcakes. They are so soft and fluffy, simply irresistible! A delightful treat for all families!
Hi, Marinela! Thank you so much for your sweet review. I’m thrilled to hear you love these vegan funfetti cupcakes! Enjoy!
Funffeti cupcakes are just so special! I love how these turned out! They are soft, fluffy, creamy and so pretty because of the sprinkles! Thank you!
That is so great to hear, Chris! I am glad that you love my recipe that much! Thank you so much for sharing and following along with me. XO
Funfetti cupcakes are my absolute favorite!!! I’m so happy to have found a vegan recipe. They turned out so delicious and moist. Everybody loved it!
Hi, Anaiah! I’m so glad you are loving my funfetti cupcakes and that they turned out so delicious! Thanks for sharing your sweet review!
These vegan cupcakes are gorgeous and so fun! I’m planning to make them with my daughter, she will love them. Can I use coconut oil instead of the vegetable oils you mention in the recipe? Thank you.
Hi, Stef. Yes, you can perfectly use coconut oil here, it’s a great substitute for vegetable oils. I hope your daughter loves the cupcakes!
These cupcakes look gorgeous! Your photography is so stunning too!
I’m so glad you like these funfetti cupcakes! Thanks for commenting.