These Vegan Pecan Pie Brownies are the perfect combination of everyone’s favorite fudgy brownies and the gooey pecan pie topping! They’re dairy-free, egg-free and simply irresistible! This is a two-in-one dessert that you’re going to instantly love!
WHY MAKE THESE BROWNIES
They’re fudgy, decadent and easy to make. The combination of the chocolaty bottom layer and the caramelized pecan filling is out of this world delicious. If you haven’t tried yet, you’re missing out!
These vegan pecan pie brownies are dairy-free, egg-free and made without corn syrup. In fact, those are so good that anyone won’t notice they are vegan!
They’re also really gooey since the pecan pie filling on top keeps them moist while baking.
If you’re looking for a homemade, easy and made-from-scratch recipe, you have come to the right place!
INGREDIENT NOTES AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Chocolate. I used non-dairy semisweet chocolate. Non-dairy chocolate chunks or chips are also a great choice.
All-purpose flour. I always use all-purpose flour but if you need to make these brownies gluten-free, a 1:1 gluten-free flour blend should work.
Vegan butter. For this recipe, I use unsalted vegan butter sticks. You can also use margarine since this is a very forgiving recipe.
Soy milk. Or use the unsweetened plant-based milk of your choice, like oat milk, almond milk or cashew milk.
Flaxseed. Flaxseed is an egg substitute. If you haven’t used it before, it smells a bit odd uncooked, but you don’t taste it at all once the brownies are baked.
Sugar. Light brown sugar is my sugar of choice when baking brownies. Dark brown sugar, organic cane sugar or coconut sugar will also work.
Cornstarch. This helps to thicken the pecan pie filling. Tapioca flour or arrowroot can also be used as a substitute for cornstarch.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN PECAN PIE BROWNIES
Full instructions and measurements can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
1. First, line the baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Prepare the flaxseed eggs by mixing ground flaxseed with water.
3. In a medium bowl, melt the chocolate and the butter using a microwave.
4. Stir to get a smooth mixture.
5. Add the sugar and mix well.
6. Add the flaxseed mixture and the vanilla. Whisk for a few seconds.
7. Then, sift in the flour, salt and espresso powder.
8. Beat everything just until no flour lumps are visible.
9. Pour the batter into the pan. Bake the brownies for 15 minutes.
10. Meanwhile, prepare the topping. In a bowl, mix the milk and the cornstarch.
11. Whisk in the butter, sugar, maple syrup, vanilla and salt until combined.
12. Add pecans to the mixture and pour over the brownie.
13. Bake for additional 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
14. To get 16 brownies, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Brownies can be stored at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you need to refrigerate them, just cover with aluminum foil and store in the refrigerator. Make sure they have completely cooled down before refrigerating them.
When ready to serve, remove them from the cooler and cut while they are still cold. Let them come to room temperature before serving or microwave for a few seconds.
You may need to prepare your brownies in advance. Bake and completely cool the brownies. Don’t cut them, and double wrap in plastic wrap.
Place the brownies in a freezer bag or wrap them with aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months.
First, remove the brownies from the pan and place on a cutting board.
Let the brownies cool completely before cutting. As they cool, they solidify and set up.
Use a straight-edge blade, serrated knives don’t work as well.
Another trick that makes wonders is using a hot knife. You can either place your knife under hot water for a few seconds or have a large glass of water and submerge it. Wipe the blade and make the first cut. Repeat it for each cut you make.
If you try this recipe don’t forget to rate it and let me know how it went in the comments below! You can also FOLLOW ME on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Vegan Pecan Pie Brownies
- Medium mixing bowl
- whisk or spatula
- 8-inch /20 cm square pan
For the Brownie layer:
- 2 cups dairy-free semisweet chocolate chopped (or chocolate chips) (300 gr)
- ½ cup dairy-free butter (100 gr)
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed (150 gr)
- 4 tablespoons ground flaxseed (30 gr)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (130 gr)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder (5 gr), or instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the Pecan Pie topping:
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free butter (14 gr)
- ⅓ cup brown sugar (50 gr)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (16 gr)
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 ½ cups pecan halves (150 gr)
For the flaxseed egg:
- Mix the flaxseed meal with ½ cup of water. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes. It will thicken and get goopy. Set aside.
For the Brownie layer:
- Preheat the oven to 350º / 180ºC and line an 8-inch /20 cm square pan with parchment paper.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chopped chocolate and the butter. Melt it in the microwave on high power, in 30 second intervals, whisking after each interval until completely smooth. 3 intervals of 30 seconds will be enough. Don’t overheat, chocolate burns easily.
- While the melted chocolate-butter mixture is still hot, add the sugar and give it a stir.
- Add the flaxseed egg to the chocolate-butter-sugar mixture together with the vanilla, and mix everything well.
- Sift in the rest of the ingredients: flour, salt, espresso powder and baking powder. Whisk everything until well combined. At this point the butter will be a bit thick, that's ok!
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading into the edges with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake the brownies for 15 minutes.
For the Pecan Pie topping:
- While the brownies are in the oven, prepare the topping. In a medium bowl, mix the milk and the cornstarch. Stir well until it forms a smooth paste.
- Whisk in the butter, sugar, maple syrup, vanilla and salt until combined. If you whisk by hand, you’ll need to melt the butter before adding it.
- Add the pecans. Pour pecan pie filling over the top of the brownies.
- Alternatively, you can place the pecans one by one on top of the brownies to make a nice pattern. Then pour the butter mixture on top.
- Cover the pan with tin foil and bake for additional 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pan.
- You’ll get cleaner brownie slices if you refrigerate it for 2 hours. To get 16 brownies, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows.