I have a thing for brownies but I am convinced I am not the only one, I bet you agree with me on that 😉 But seriously, who doesn’t love brownies? Specially those Plum Brownies with no flour (yes, they are gluten free!) and no sugar (oh yes, they are sugar free too!), with simple ingredients and a basic vegan brownie recipe. Because sometimes what you are craving is the brownies you miss from your childhood but with guilt-free ingredients.
The secret ingredient here is the plum compote, it is easy to make it at home. I used a store bought plum compote this time though. I normally buy preserved fruit from organic farming, it has no added sugar and tastes simply to fruit.
Anyway you will find several recipes here using homemade compote, it is something I use quite often to enrich or decorate my sweet creations. I mean with this that compote is super easy to make, feel free to swap the ready made compote in the recipe for your homemade one.
Even though these brownies are pretty delicious when eaten by itself, you have to try and frost them with this vegan chocolate ganache. Ganache is a staple frosting that only requires two ingredients. It is smooth, silky and shiny. The perfect filling or frosting for cakes, cupcakes and, why not, those plum brownies.
Vegan Gluten-Free Fudge Plum Brownies
- For the Vegan Plum Brownies
- 2 cups pitted plum compote drained
- 2 ounces bitter sweet chocolate chopped
- ⅓ cup margarine
- ⅓ cup agave syrup
- 1 cup ground almonds
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- For the Chocolate Ganache
- 8 ounces bitter sweet chocolate
- ¾ cup coconut cream
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC) and line an 8-inch (20 cm) square pan.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter and chopped chocolate. Melt in 30 second increments, whisking after each, until completely smooth. Let cool down for a bit. Add plums and agave syrup.
- Beat in almond meal, cocoa and baking soda.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- To make the frosting: heat the coconut cream until just about to simmer. Pour it over the chopped chocolate and let it sit for five minutes. Stir the mixture until smooth. Allow to cool completely and frost the brownies.
Looking for more vegan deserts from Simple Green Recipes?