This Coconut Cherry Ice Cream Smoothie is vegan, gluten-free and refined-sugar free. If you’re craving a mouthwatering smoothie, you’re at the right place.
It’s made of layers of delicious homemade cherry ice cream, smooth coconut yogurt and homemade cherry compote. Three goodies by themselves that combined make an irresistible breakfast, snack or even dessert, if you’re looking for a super healthy one.
Next, I share with you the step by step for this smoothie, as well as the recipes for the homemade vegan cherry ice cream and homemade cherry compote.
How to make this coconut cherry ice cream smoothie
To me, a smoothie must be healthy but delicious at the same time, and doesn’t have to be an overwhelming task. The one I’m sharing with you here is made with three yummy layers, and two of them are made from scratch.
Feel free to use ready-made ice cream or compote if you like the idea of this three-layered goodie but don’t feel like doing everything from scratch.
Bellow, you’ve got the entire recipe to follow as strictly as you wish. In the meanwhile, I’m gonna show you the basics of the recipe:
- Vegan Cherry Ice Cream. This is the funniest part for me, I love making ice cream. Basically, it’s all about soaking the cashews in advance and placing your ice cream maker bowl in the freezer to properly chill overnight. Then, add the ice cream ingredients into a blender, blend until smooth and transfer it to the ice cream maker. Churn for 30 minutes or until you get the desired consistency.
- Homemade Cherry compote. Making your own cherry compote can’t be easier. Believe me. You have to try it. You’ll find detailed instructions bellow and in the recipe card.
- Coconut Yogurt. Since I find the store-bought coconut yogurt to be pretty good, I have never tried to make coconut yogurt myself. So, no further steps here, except removing the yogurt from fridge one hour ago if you like your smoothie not too cold.
Once the three ingredients for the smoothie are ready, take a glass or jar and layer them as you wish. Or mix them up, this combo tastes amazing both ways.
How to make Homemade Cherry Compote
This quick and easy Cherry Compote takes almost no time to cook and is the perfect topping for this smoothie. Not to mention, it’s irresistible spread over ice cream, cheesecake or this Raw Vegan Dark Cherry Tart.
First, pit the cherries. I use a cherry pitter, one of those single-purpose kitchen tools that I try to avoid but that, sooner or later, I end up buying. Can you relate? I have one of the single removal models, so it just removes one pit at a time. I think it’s more accurate and it comes in handy when you want your final results to be pretty.
Anyway, if you don’t have a cherry pitter, a single chopstick will easily do the work for you. To pit cherries with a chopstick, remove the stem, place the chopstick on the stem-end of the cherry, push it through, and voilà – out pops the pit.
Once the cherries are pitted, put them and the sugar into a saucepan. Boil for 10-15 minutes until thickened and reduced, the compote shouldn’t be runny. In case the compote its too thin, remove the cherries and reduce the juice a bit more.
Coconut Cherry Ice Cream Smoothie
- 1 cup vegan cherry ice cream
- 1 cup coconut yogurt
- ½ cup cherry compote ⠀
For the Vegan Cherry Ice Cream
- ⅔ cup raw cashews soaked overnight
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ⅓ jar organic cherry jam
For the Cherry Compote:
- 1 cup ripe dark cherries
- 1 tbs water
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- For the Vegan Cherry Ice Cream
- The day or night before, place your ice cream maker bowl in the freezer to properly chill.
- Once cashews are soaked and drained, add to a high speed blender with coconut milk, cane sugar, coconut oil (or olive oil) and cherry jam. Blend on high speed until very creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn for 30 minutes.
- For the Cherry Compote
- Wash and pit the cherries.
- Add cherries, sugar and water in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until the cherries have softened.
- If the compote is too runny, remove the cherries and cook the juice for 5 more minutes until reduced in half and thickened.
- Put the cherries back into the saucepan and stir to combine.
- To Assemble the Smoothie
- Mix two tablespoons of cherry compote with one cup of cherry ice cream and divide the mixture into two glasses.
- Add ½ cup of coconut yogurt to each glass and top with the remaining cherry compote. Enjoy!
If you liked this recipe don’t forget to Pin and share with your friends!
Did you make this recipe? Tag @simplegreenrecipes on Instagram
More vegan smoothies from Simple Green Recipes?
Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl
More smoothie recipes from favorite blogs:
Peach & Cream Smoothie Bowl from Oh My Veggies
Leave a Comment