Good morning and happy Wednesday! Natalia here with my second favorite vegan gluten-free oat banana pancakes recipe. I made a few tweaks to my go-to pancake recipe and loved the result, so ready to share another pancake recipe with you.
If you are anything like me, you are going to love this one too! Pancakes are among my favorite breakfast. It’s the one thing I could eat all day, every day. And of course I top them with loads of maple syrup. Always. Don’t you? You are missing out.
How to make chia eggs
For vegan-friendly baking recipes, chia seeds are a great egg alternative. Chia seeds work great in muffins and pancakes but it’s not an ideal substitute for whipped eggs. One tablespoon of chia seeds combined with 3 tablespoons of water create a jelly-like substance that can be used as an egg replacer and a binder in vegan recipes.
The water must be room temperature or a bit warm. Combine the chia seeds and the water, stir and let sit for 15 minutes. Stir again, then use as you would eggs in baking.
How to make the perfect Vegan Gluten-Free Oat Banana Pancakes
Making vegan pancakes isn’t difficult at all. It basically consists in replacing the two non-vegan ingredients, milk and eggs, and following some basic tips, like the ones I’m sharing with you bellow.
Have all ingredients at room temperature. Room temperature ingredients bond together very easily since they’re warmer, creating a smooth batter and resulting in lighter and fluffier pancakes.
Don’t overmix the batter. Resist to overbeat the batter. If you whisk it too much, you’ll have a tough, too-spongy pancake.
Don’t let the pan get too hot, the outside of the pancakes will burn before the inside cooks.The ideal heat to cook your pancakes is over a medium-low heat.
Keep them warm. To do so, preheat oven to 200ºF/100ºC. Line a baking sheet, spread the pancakes on it in a single layer, uncovered, and place the pan in a 200-degree oven.
How to freeze pancakes
You can easily make a big batch of these and freeze them for later. First, let them cool at room temperature and then put them in a freezer bag.
Then, just take them out of the freezer and pop in the toaster. You can also reheat them gently in a skillet or even the microwave for a few seconds.
Vegan Gluten-free Oat Banana Pancakes
For the Pancakes:
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 chia eggs or 2 chicken eggs for those just looking for a gluten-free recipe
- 1 cup plant milk
- 1 +½ cup oat flour⠀
- ½ tablespoon baking powder ⠀
For the Toppings:
- ½ cup coconut yogurt
- ¼ cup chocolate chunks
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- First, prepare the chia eggs. Mix 2 tablespoons of ground chia seeds with 6 tablespoons of water. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes to thicken.
- Mix the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the chia eggs, mashed bananas, applesauce and plant milk, and stir until just mixed. Add the dry ingredients and mix in.
- Heat up a pan and grease lightly with a little of vegetable fat.
- The pan must be hot. Scoop ¼ cup of pancake batter onto the pan.
- Let pancakes cook on one side until bubbles form around edges, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook other side until golden brown.
- Serve hot, and enjoy!
More vegan gluten-free breakfast from Simple Green Recipes: