These Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are loaded with creamy peanut butter and lots of chocolate chunks. They’re perfectly thick, soft in the centre and crispy on the edges. You’ll love these peanut butter chocolate chip cookies all year round!
WHY MAKE THIS RECIPE
25 minutes easy-to-make recipe. It’s a delicious cookie recipe that goes together in just 25 minutes. It’s prepared in less than 10 minutes and baked in around 15 minutes. That’s all. Chocolate chip cookies get cooled down in no time and are absolutely delicious when they are warm and the chocolate is still melted.
Full of peanut butter and chocolate flavor. This recipe has the right amount of peanut butter and chocolate to make the perfect cookie for any occasion, be it breakfast, snack or after meal treat.
Don’t require any dough chilling. This cookies don’t spread much so it’s not necessary to chill the dough. Wether you form the cookies with an ice cream scooper or with your hands, they will flatten a bit but mostly keep the size they were before sliding them into the oven.
Oh, and if you’re a fan of easy and quick healthy treats, check out those: Vegan Peanut Butter Cups, Vegan Linzer Cookies, Vegan Gluten Free Donuts, Vegan Funfetti Cupcakes.
INGREDIENTS NOTES AND SUBSTITUTIONS
Apple sauce. You can either use Homemade Apple Sauce or store-bought. I always have jars of homemade apple sauce in my freezer, I make a double batch and freeze them in jars.
Brown sugar. I either use cane sugar, brown sugar or panela, what I have on hand. All them are moister than granulated sugar, and make your cookies softer.
All-purpose flour. All-purpose flour is what I usually use here. If you want to make them gluten-free, substitute all-purpose flour for gluten-free all-purpose flour at a ratio of 1:1.
Peanut butter. I use natural peanut butter, it’s oilier than processed peanut butter but it doesn’t affect the outcome, these cookies keep their shape and size beautifully and don’t spread much.
HOW TO MAKE THE COOKIE
- Preheat oven to 375ºF / 190ºC. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, mix butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add peanut butter, apple sauce and vanilla.
- Whisk well to combine the wet ingredients.
- Sift in the flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk until there are no lumps of flour left.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and the chocolate chunks.
- Mix well just until combined. Don’t over mix.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough. Place each cookie scoop onto the lined baking sheet. Leave one inch between each one.
Bake for 13-15 minutes, until lightly browned on the sides. Remove from oven and let cool.
Cookies are done when they are golden on the edges but still soft in the centre. Around 13-15 minutes for these cookies. They firm up while cooling down.
Sure! The dough can be made and stored in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 1 week. You can also freeze the vegan cookie dough for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
NO chill time required for this dough. This is not an extremely soft cookie dough so there is no need to refrigerate before taking the cookies to the oven.
Once baked and cooled, vegan peanut butter chocolate chip cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Once baked, allow cookies to cool completely. Place them on a baking sheet in a single layer, don’t overlap. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for 1-2 hours. When the cookies are solid, transfer to an airtight container. I line the container with parchment paper and layer the cookies in it, separating the layers with parchment paper to prevent breakage.
If you try this recipe don’t forget to rate it and let me know how it went in the comments below! You can also FOLLOW ME on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.
Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- Large mixing bowl
- Silicone spatula
- Cookie scoop (scoop diameter: 1.97 inch/5 cm)
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
For the Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup (1 stick) plant based butter , room temperature
- ½ cup light or dark brown sugar
- ⅔ cup natural smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup apple sauce , homemade or store-bought
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chunks
For the Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 375ºF / 190ºC. Place the rack in the middle of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl using a handheld mixer, or the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until soft and creamy, for 3 minutes.
- Add in the peanut butter, apple sauce and vanilla. Whisk well to combine the wet ingredients.
- Sift in the flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until there are no lumps of flour left. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula to make sure everything is mixed properly.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and the chocolate chunks. Mix just until combined. Don’t over mix or the cookies will spread.
- Using a cookie scoop (ice cream scoop), scoop the cookie dough. Place each cookie scoop onto the lined baking sheet. Leave 1 inch between each one.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned on the sides. They will be raw in the middle.
- Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for a week, at room temperature.
These vegan peanut butter cookies are so amazing! They have the best texture and flavor and I loved them!
Mama Maggie's Kitchen
This looks so so good. My son will love these cookies for sure, I will make more for him.
These are absolutely amazing! Cookies are always great, but even better when they’re vegan. Thanks for a great recipe!
Wow, so chocolatey, perfect for my coffee or tea time. I am a peanut butter fan, too, so these are perfect little treats, and the best is homemade—nothing like fresh out of the oven cookies.
Oh my goodness! These look perfect for a snack or after school treat. I love how it combines peanut butter and chocolate, two of my favorite things.
Enriqueta E Lemoine
These Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are simply irresistible. They are part of my repertoire and everybody loves them!
I’m so glad Enriqueta! Thanks for commenting.
These came out wonderfully! I love anything with lots of chocolate, and the amount in here was perfect. Definitely worth making a batch!
Thank you so much, Amanda! I’m super excited to hear that you loved these cookies. It’s one of my family’s favorite recipes too!
Peanut butter and chocolate chip is such a delicious classic combination. This cookies were easy to throw together and they turned out so good. This recipe is a keeper for sure!
That is great to hear, Debbie! I am so glad that you love my recipe that much! Thank you so much for sharing and following along with me
MY cookie jar is empty, so I am so glad that I’ve stumbled upon this recipe. The cookies look super yum!
Hi, Elaine! Thank you so much! Those are delicious and super easy, you have to try them!
I’m always happy when I find good vegan cookies! There aren’t too many that taste as good as regular ones. Bonus points if they’re with chocolate haha. These were delicious!
Hi, Veronika! Thank you so much! I am beyond happy to read your positive review So glad you loved them! Enjoy!
PB and chocolate is one of m favorite flavor combos! I absolutely love how soft these cookies are .
Hi, Brianna! Thank you so much for your sweet review. I’m thrilled to hear you love these vegan PB chocolate chip cookies! Enjoy!
Peanut butter is my weakness. I can’t wait to try this! One of my kids has a peanut allergy. Have you ever tried a substitution for any other nuts? If not, I’ll let you know how it turns out when I do!
Hi, AISilva! I’m so glad you like the cookies. I haven’t tried to make them with another nut butter. You could try with almond butter, it has a similar consistency to peanut butter and I’m pretty sure it will work great here too. Let me know how they turn out if you make them!
Such lovely cookies. They look delicious. I love that you used apple sauce. It’s so much healthier than other forms of added sugar. I will definitely give your recipe a try.
That’s wonderful! I’m so glad you like them! Let me know when you make them, I would love to hear how it worked out for you. And thanks for the comment!
You can’t beat peanut butter and chocolate baked together especially in this vegan cookie recipe.
Hi Sharon, I can’t agree more, the peanut butter and chocolate combo is unbeatable! I’m so happy you like the cookies! Thanks for commenting.
My wife will be super excited to have a bite of these Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies! These are so mouthwatering.
I’m sure she would be, Chef Dennis, these cookies are among my favorites! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!
Peanut butter and chocolate are an amazing combination. These cookies were easy to make and had a great texture. We all enjoyed them!
That is great to hear! I am so glad that you enjoyed the cookies that much! Thank you so much, Bernice, for sharing your review!